Search This Blog

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Assassin's Creed.....No The First One

I have been noticing the previews of Assassin's Creed II for a long, long time, always thinking, "yeah that looks pretty cool" but never really committing myself to get excited. Then reviews started trickling in from the various sites and it became obvious that the game was not only pretty cool, but possibly amazing. Still, new games are $60 and, I have a fear of commitment. That's why I'm not even married to my job. We have an on again off again relationship with my job always complaining I need to spend more time at work. Don't you hate clingy jobs? The point is I could buy ACII for MSRP or buy the original at Walmart for $20. So I did that.

There have always been a lot of complaints about Assassin's Creed since it released, most of which hinge on the fact that the game got incredibly repetitive. This is grounded in rock solid truth. You will travel to a new location, climb on things, investigate targets, climb on more things, and then assassinate. And then you will do it all over again. But when you have to slaughter city guards in bloody cinematic encounters that only result in making you feel like a murder machine I can't really see the down side.

I played the game start to finish in about a week, and I was having a blast right up to the end. When, you may be asking yourself, did my fun stop? Well that was when all of a sudden the opponents started using seemingly unblockable combos that took off a quarter of my life. And here's the kicker: there were about 30 of them. You know what mister game? When I fight 30 people at once it's pretty much guaranteed that I'm going to take damage and it's going to be difficult. I don't need master swordsman surrounding me and, I swear this is the truth, chest bumping me to death. Fuck you. Also any water in the game deeper than Altair's head will kill you instantly. That's especially tricky when drunks on the docks will push you, and only you, into the water for literally no reason.

After everything I still love this game. It was an awesome trip through Crusade era Jerusalem as a psychopath with a hidden blade. I dare you to tell me how that could not be amazing. It's all about an alien artifact and a nancy boy from the future you say? Touché Internet, touché.

1 comment:

Dan said...

I WILL BE PLAYING THAT SOON.