Search This Blog

Friday, November 20, 2009

Peggle With My Puggle

Yeah, yeah, everyone has already played Peggle a billion years ago on XBLA. Yesterday it came out, many months later for some undisclosed reason, on PSN. It also happens that I have a two year old obese pug named Beowulf. Now I have my entertainment system set up in a loft, and because of poor Beo's weight problem it would be impossible to actually play Peggle anywhere near him. But I like to think that if he could struggle his way up those ladder steps he would enjoy watching me play. He enjoys everything. Right now he's enjoying sleeping on my legs, and I'll be damned if they're not going to sleep too.

With or without the pug Peggle is awesome. If you've never played, it's a little like pachinko with crazy characters, crazy peg designs, and cuuuurazy background art. Everything is crazy, I guess, is what I'm trying to get at. But what you might not expect is that it's also very funny. The loading screen at the game's start-up, for instance, will display hilarious little sayings. And when you do something especially unlikely a tiny rodent (gopher? chipmunk?) named Jimmy Lightning will appear in the lower right and exclaim "EXTREME!" Terrific. There are ten Peggle masters to play as and each one has it's own unique abilities when hitting a green peg. Jimmy Lightning's specialty is the Multiball which is, predictably, extreme.

Now too many people have complained that that game plays itself. That is simply not true. The truth is that the player controls very little. That sounds to me like the ultimate selling point to lazy people. And people who play games are often very lazy. So does this make Peggle the best designed game in history? I submit that it does. I also rule that Beowulf is the cutest dog in the world. Court is adjourned.

No comments: